11 February 2022

 


I showed Jonathan my first post.

"You're so poetic!" he said.

I'm sure he meant it as a compliment.

Straight up: We have quit our jobs and decided to move to Italy. There is, almost inevitably, a certain amount of poetry involved in that, I guess.

Today is Jonathan's last official day of work. He is spending it in an all-day meeting. They are awarding grant money today -- discussing applications and budget constraints and impact likelihood. The meeting used to happen at offices in Denver. He would drive up and spend the day. A nice lunch was provided.

But because of the Covid pandemic, it is happening online. I can hear Jonathan's voice every now and then coming from the bedroom that the children used to share before they went off to college.

I will work through the end of May, the end of the academic year. Today I am home waiting for papers to come in from my Social Theory students. Then I will spend the weekend grading them. They are about the Postmodern Turn this week. 

My class was held in person for half of the past week and online for the other half because of a big Covid outbreak happening on campus. People are stressed. We never know from day to day how or where or when or what we will be doing. It is very discombobulating for everyone. I try to keep it all together, but after two years of this, things fall through the cracks. People fall through the cracks.

For a while I was teaching outside in a tent, but it is too cold for that in Colorado now. Snow is expected later today.

So, Italy.