27 February 2023

The Mistral returned yesterday with ferocious winds and dazzling views of the sea. We should have predicted this because the last of our February guests left yesterday amid grey skies and mists. For two weeks, we've been apologizing for the rather indifferent weather and saying, "Oh, but you should see it on a good day!" So today the sea is sapphire blue and we can see the individual portholes on the ships heading towards the harbor at La Spezia. I feel like Jonathan and I are also in a ship, cozy and sunlit, sailing in a sea of Mistral wind.


Two days ago, down at the pub, I was talking to Alice about my new book coming out. We will have a reading there in June to celebrate its appearance. I said that Capriglia is a wonderful place to write -- always tranquil, always calm. "Yes," she said, deadpan, "just like in The Shining."

A couple of night ago, I dreamed that a giant tidal wave came and crashed over me. I survived by holding onto the handle of the door of my house. But I wasn't afraid or worried because I knew that my children were safe inside the house. I was surprised to find that I could breathe under water. 

I miss my boys.