11 September 2023


When Jonathan and I go down the hill into Pietrasanta, we usually park in the Piazza dello Statuto, right on the edge of town. Our vegetable store is there and our old (fascist) bakery is there. But now we have switched to a new (non-fascist -- as far as we know) bakery at the further end of the Via del Marzocco. (I have highlighted the street in orange on this map -- Pietrasanta is not a very big town, as you can see.) So this morning, walking back from the bakery (you can see Jonathan inside buying bread in the picture below) to the car, I photographed the entire street of the Via del Marzocco. Here is a long list in order that is basically a photograph taken every few feet along the entire two blocks of the street, from the start in the Piazza del Duomo, ending at the parking lot with our car right behind the statue. This is about 9 a.m. on a random Monday morning in September.

Sometimes, visibly perplexed local people ask me why, of all places, I chose to live in Pietrasanta. I tell them that I think Pietrasanta is very beautiful and they look at me like I'm crazy. I don't think I am.