20 December 2023

Highlights of the week:

1. We took the train to Milan to see the opera of "The Little Prince" at La Scala and all along the way, we saw the lovely rose-colored and terra cotta and lemon-yellow houses outside the train windows.

2. I drank a 22 euro gin and tonic on the rooftop terrace of our hotel in Milan. I only drank one.

3. We knew the opera was for children, but we hadn't realized it was also by children -- La Scala has a school for little budding singers. My two favorites were the ones dressed as asteroids in big globe costumes who had to stand on stage and revolve for a good twenty minutes. I almost died from the adorableness.

4. There was a harpist at breakfast in the hotel who played "Moon River," "What a Wonderful World," and "Over the Rainbow."

5. When we got home, Jonathan had to leave almost immediately for a conference in Rome, so I texted him some pictures of me later that day. Or at least I intended to. Somehow, I managed instead to send them to our neighbor Fabio across the street. Now I have to hide inside my house for the rest of my life.