21 March 2024

After a week of living in sunshine and wildflowers, it is so misty this morning that we can't see even the hills right behind the house. I like knowing that we are living inside clouds.

We are in a generosity spiral with Barbara and Sara at the Frutta D'Oro. After they were so kind to me about being on my own while Jonathan was away in the US and also gifted me a giant bunch of yellow mimosas, Jonathan brought them back some Vermont maple syrup from his trip. They reciprocated with a large jar of honey from their own hives and then an 11-pound bag of lemons from the tree in Sara's yard -- "So sweet that you can just eat them," Sara said.


So we made lemon marmalade with ginger and Cointreau and gave them two jars of it and two loaves of our own fresh-baked bread. Heaven only knows where this will end. Probably pie.

Sunday we went to see Fabio play at a little osteria high up in the hills above Seravezza. The staff there all wear t-shirts that say "Moriremo ma non di sete" -- "We will die -- but not from thirst." I laughed and laughed at this and the owners, Silvio and Daniela, let me take their picture and then gave us some free homemade liqueurs -- pale green tasting of pistachio and pale orange tasting of melon.

Jonathan still has no driver's license, but the Polizia dello Stato in Forte dei Marmi say that my Permesso di Soggiorno (long-term stay visa) is ready to be picked up -- a mere four months after my last one expired. We are going there to get it tomorrow morning. I will believe it when I see it.